health & happiness


short-term counseling

Franklin Discovery Academy offers short-term individual counseling for students. Parents and guardians or school staff may refer students to counseling, or students may request it. For counseling that extends beyond two sessions in a school year, or that is planned on a regular basis, parent permission must be obtained.

Please note school counselors do not provide “therapy” or “traditional counseling.” Referrals for outside counseling services are available for children experiencing grief, divorce, family separation, deployment, or mental health concerns.

Email our counselor at or call 801-785-6500.

small group classes

We also offer a variety of small group classes. Spaces are limited to 8 students per class. Referrals may be submitted at any time; your student will be invited to participate the next time that group is offered. Please fill out the recommendation form below to request enrollment for your student.

Students participating in groups must have permission from their parent/guardian. If your student has been invited to join a group, they will be given a permission slip. Please fill it out and return it as soon as possible.

Group topics are based on need and subject to change. The following are some of the groups that may be offered:

  • Soda Pop Heads — anger management
  • Worry Warriors — anxiety
  • Banana Splits — divorce/separation
  • Starbound — 4th-6th grade girl’s group, various skills
  • Building Champions — 4th-6th grade boy’s group, various skills
  • Wiggle Worms — K-1st grade group, self-control

Special Education

referral process

Franklin Discovery Academy is responsible for Child Find identification and evaluation for all current students, Kinder through Grade 6, who are suspected of having a disability and are in need of evaluation for possible special education services.

If your child is having significant difficulty with communication, behavior, academic learning, fine or gross motor skills, or experiencing delayed development for their age, they may be a child with a disability that requires specialized instruction through special education. If you suspect your student may have a disability, even though he or she is advancing from grade to grade, please contact our Special Education Department.

Email our SPED department at or call 801-785-6500.

Help for Parents

Equity & Advocacy

Run by an office of the USBE, this website can provide more information about special education laws and the services they can provide to your student.

Carson Smith Scholarship

If you are the parent of a public school student with an IEP, we are required to inform you of the availability of a scholarship to attend a private school through the Carson Smith Scholarship Program.

IDEA Procedural Safeguards

IDEA is the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act. These safeguards protect parental rights and establish rules to resolve disputes between schools and families.


We will accommodate your student's health conditions and needs. It is critical for us to be aware of pertinent health conditions, including allergies, diabetes, and medication. Because students travel to different classrooms and interact with many teachers, please make sure their info is up-to-date. Communicate with mentor teachers, who will advocate for the student to other staff. Send health info to our school nurse at


  • Jun20
    Board Meeting
  • Jun28
    Last Day of June Term
  • Jul11
    Board Meeting
  • Jul29
    Professional Development (No School)

    July 29-August 2

  • Aug05
    Teacher Work Day (No School)
View Full Calendar